Sheehan Law Firm emphasis consumer fraud , social security disability claims, and bankruptcy. The links on the in the "Attorneys" tab, above, will lead you to information about our attorneys or to information about each of the areas which we handle. We have attempted to provide answers to frequently asked questions in each of these areas and links to other sites which can provide information about bankruptcy and social security. However, if you have a question that is not answered, please feel free to contact us by phone, mail or our message center. Before reviewing the information contained herein or using our message center, please read the disclaimer concerning information on this site and email transmissions.
More information will be added on consumer fraud shortly.
- What is predatory lending?
- What are the seven signs that you may be dealing with a predatory lender?
- Credit Insurance
- Excessive Interest Rates
- Prepayment Penalties
- Loaning in Excess of Property Value
Home Ownership Equity Protection Act
Truth in Lending Act
Mississippi Mortgage Consumer Protection Law
Consumer Loan Broker Act
Mississippi Title Pledge Act - Miss. Code Ann 75-67-503 et seq.
Pay Day Loans
Mississippi Check Cashers Act - Miss. Code Ann. 75-67-501
Commonly known as "pay day lenders," certain businesses cash checks for a fee. Mississippi regulates pay day lenders as follows:
- Fees or charges for cashing checks are limited depending on the type of check cashed from three to five percent (3-5%) or $5.00 (whichever is greater).
- Delayed deposit checks - a lender may cash a check and enter into a written agreement to delay the deposit provided the amount of the check does not exceed four hundred dollars ($400.00). The check casher may not accept multiple checks that total more than four hundred dollars ($400.00). The check casher may charge a fee of up to eighteen per cent (18%) of the face amount of the check. The casher may not renew or allow the check cashed to be repaid by the proceeds of another check cashed by the same pay day lender or its affiliate.
Home Solicitation Sales
Usury - Miss. Code Ann. 75-17-1
Legal rate of interest; finance charges.
Credit Counseling or Nonprofit Debt Services
Mississippi Nonprofit Debt Management Services Act - Miss. Code Ann. 83-22-1 et seq. This act limits the fees a credit counseling agency may charge as follows:
- Monthly fees not exceeding $25.00 per month;
- One time set up fee of $75.00;
- Credit report fee of no more than $15.00.
Protecting Your Credit
Fair Credit Reporting Act
Fair Debt Collection Act
Protecting your identity
- Never give out personal information to strangers.
- Do not give out your social security number or use your social security number as your driver's license number.
- Shred personal papers before discarding them.
- Do not carry your social security card with you.
What to do if you suspect identity theft